In Adelaide the SDC has been instrumental in reaching out to many families during a period of over fifty years. We owe the initial foundation to Horace Cassar and Harry Brincat who both migrated from Malta to join their families in Adelaide in 1953. Eventually they rented a house at 95 East Street and started catechetical ministry at the parishes in Norwood and Hindmarsh. Ministry flourished so quickly that Horace and Harry made a request to the SDC in Malta for help. In reply two missionary Members, Emmanuel Mifsud and Charles Azzopardi arrived in 1957. After three year Charles headed for Peru as a missionary, was ordained a priest and eventually founded the SDC in Lima. In Adelaide new members joined the Society and ministry was expanded to the parishes in Seaton, Evandale and later on in Elizabeth.
Today, the Members operate from Preca Centre in Bropmton and ministry is focused in the inner western suburbs of Adelaide. Ministry includes weekly liturgy of the word for children and leading groups in preparation of the sacraments of Reconciliation, Confirmation and First Holy Communion. A new initiative is the weekly Sunday Teen’s liturgy of the word which is a group discussion on the Sunday gospel. On Friday nights the Members lead a youth group called ‘Come and See’ for ages 10-18 at the Nazareth Senior Catholic College Campus. This group engages in faith formation coupled with recreational sport activities which provide a healthy balance. Occasionally BBQs and pizza nights are organised for youth and their families at Preca Centre. An emerging tradition is celebrating the end of a school term by organising an outing either at a national park or in summer at an aquatic centre. A monthly Taize’ prayer meeting and a weekly faith journey group are held at the Elizabeth parish.
An organic garden known as ‘Preca Community Garden’ has been developed which provides neighbours the opportunity to organically grow their own vegetables in special raised beds called wicking beds.